About Sunnyside Church of the Brethren

Thank you for taking the time to find out more about Sunnyside Church of the Brethren. We hope that after you look through our website and attend a worship service, you will consider becoming a more active part of our growing community of faith.

Lead by Pastor Randy Shoemaker, Sunnyside Church of the Brethren offers many ministries for people of all ages and walks of life who are looking to strengthen their relationship with Christ. We offer ministries in Sunday School, Small Groups, Women's Ministry, and Youth Ministry.

Vision Statement

We will be passionate student's of God's Word. We will reach, teach, and touch the lost. We will comfort the hurting. We will be an encouragement to all. We will always remember that to serve others is to serve the Lord and to serve the Lord is to serve others.

Church History

Sunnyside Church, located on Rt. 50 near New Creek, traces its roots to a small congregation first known as the Leatherman Church located on the Cut-Off Road and organized around 1890. In December 1891, the Leatherman Church was completed and dedicated.

In 1916, the congregation moved to the Sunnyside Schoolhouse because more of the members were situated near Sunnyside than the Cut-Off area. Mr. Jake McDonald had purchased the Sunnyside school property and donated it to the Brethren.

Worship services were held in the school until 1938 when the first brick building was constructed which provided Sunday School room, the santuary and a kitchen. Approximately 20 years later, in 1958, this brick house of worship was remodeled with an extension built onto the santuary, additional classrooms, and a modernized kitchen.

In the late 1980's another addition was necessary including a baptistery, more classrooms, and a larger kitchen and fellowship hall.

The Sunnyside congregation is the "mother" church of the Brethren in the New Creek valley. It was not until 1924 that the Keyser Church of the Brethren broke off their relationship with the Sunnyside congregation and established a church on Main Street in downtowm Keyser.

The Women's Aid Society was begun in October 1932 and the ladies have continually supported the work of the church in general. Later they were known as the Friendship Aid Society and for the past several decades, they are the "Women's Fellowship".

Over the years the women have assisted with the programs and outreach of the congregation by serving dinners and having popular homemade ice cream socials which continue yet today.

The first full time pastor was hired in 1951. Since then, five full time pastors have served our congregation prior to the current pastor, Randy Shoemaker, who assumed the pastorate on January 1, 2011.

Youth and children's groups have been active over the years since the 1940's. Vacation Bible Schools were established in the 1950's and continue to attract community children and youth.

Sunnyside has continually supported missionaries. For the past ten years, we have had several members particpate actively on mission trips to Guatemala as well as sending financial support to missions across the globe.